Matcha tea vs coffee: curious to know which one is better?
Matcha tea is a power-packed type of green tea. Nowadays matcha tea is the talk of the town.
On the other side, we have coffee. One of the most consumed beverages worldwide. Also, known for its best taste and delicious flavors.
So! Let’s start a comparison of these two beverages to analyze the difference, health benefits, and side effects.
It will help you to choose the better one from matcha tea vs coffee.
Matcha tea and coffee, both contain fewer calories when prepared without milk, sugar, or cream. Let’s compare the nutritional facts of both beverages to make it clear, which is better.
[table id=40 /]
Now you know that both matcha tea and coffee are caffeinated drinks. Coffee contains more caffeine content than matcha tea.
12 Health Benefits of Matcha Tea
Matcha tea has multiple health benefits that can make you enjoy this beverage more often. Also, it contains catechins, amino acids, and antioxidants. We have more benefits of matcha tea to discuss.
- The caffeine content of matcha tea may help in weight loss. Because it activates brown fat and speeds up the fat-burning process and energy expenditure.
- The components of caffeine in matcha tea increase your metabolic rate by 13% for 3 hours. Which helps in weight loss.
- Matcha tea is full of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which is beneficial for your health.
- It contains antioxidants, which are known for the fight against the harmful effects of stress in your body.
- The antioxidants that matcha tea contains may prevent various brutal diseases such as cancer.
- Polyphenols: a group of potent antioxidants, are the major component of matcha tea. these components are beneficial for your physical and mental health.
- EGCG in matcha tea may fight against harmful effects. It may help to prevent the growth and spread of harmful tumors. It also mitigates cancerous cells.
- Also, matcha tea contains rutin, chlorophyll, and vitamin C. These antioxidants reduce the risk of circulatory system illness or cancer.
- According to the research conducted by NIH, Matcha tea is full of flavonols and phenolic acids, which may help in the detoxification of your body.
- Polyphenols in matcha tea may help in blood vessel relaxation, which reduces high blood pressure. Also, polyphenols reduce platelet aggregation. It reduces the risk of heart attack by protecting your arteries from clogging.
- L-theanine and ECGC, may enhance your mood and make you feel relax and alert.
- Daily consumption of matcha tea may lower the risk of fatty liver disease.
If you want to read these health benefits in detail, then you can check our detailed guide on matcha tea.
Side Effects of Matcha Tea
No doubt matcha tea has a range of benefits. Drinking matcha tea daily is safe for an average person. But it also has some drawbacks. So, let’s give it a look.
- Matcha tea is rare and more expensive than coffee.
- Excessive intake of matcha tea may lead to liver damage. It also can cause digestive issues such as nausea, acid reflux, and constipation.
- Consumption of strong matcha tea can increase the amount of acid in your stomach.
- The caffeine content of matcha tea produces a laxative effect that may upset your stomach. Heavy Intake of matcha tea (7 – 8 cups per day) can cause diarrhea.
- Matcha tea contains L-theanine, which can interrupt your sleep by increasing alertness.
- A high intake of matcha tea can lead to vomiting. Because it contains tannin, a component that can be harmful to your health.
- Matcha tea components can lower your blood pressure, which can lead to various diseases.
- People who are caffeine sensitive should avoid matcha tea. excessive consumption of this tea increases the risk of bone diseases.
- Matcha tea contains tannins, caffeine, and catechins, all of these are harmful to pregnant women. Also, not good for the child.
11 Health Benefits of Coffee
Coffee is the queen of the hearts of many people all around the globe. Because of its delicious taste and variety of health benefits. Here are the top health benefits of coffee.
- Coffee is an energy booster. It makes you feel relaxed and energetic.
- A cup of coffee can improve your brain function. It enhances your mood and reaction time.
- Coffee boosts your metabolic rate by 3 – 11%, which helps in burning body fat.
- It increases the level of adrenaline in your blood, which improves your physical performance.
- Coffee contains multiple nutrients which are beneficial for your physical and mental health such as riboflavin, manganese, potassium, and niacin.
- The good news for coffee lovers, coffee reduces the risk of diabetes 2 by 23 – 50%.
- Also, it can balance your blood sugar level, which may prevent harmful diseases.
- According to NIH, a person who consumes coffee regularly has a 65% lower risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Parkinson’s disease is the second most common disease after Alzheimer’s. The coffee drinker has a 32 – 60% lower risk of Parkinson’s disease.
- 4 – 5 cups of coffee per day may reduce the risk of cirrhosis by 80%. Also, it can lower the risk of becoming depressed by 20%.
- Moderate consumption of coffee regularly can lower the risk of liver cancer by 40%.
After discussing benefits of coffee, let’s move to the side effects of coffee.
Side Effects of Coffee
Coffee contains caffeine, which can be harmful to your health. Excessive consumption of coffee may lead to various diseases. Let’s give it a look at the side effects of coffee.
- Higher consumption of coffee can lead to anxiety and nervousness.
- Coffee contains caffeine, which can make you alert. But non-moderate intake of caffeine can decrease your total sleeping time.
- Coffee can majorly affect your digestive system. So, you should monitor your coffee intake.
- Excessive consumption of caffeinated coffee can lead to kidney failure or muscle breakdown.
- The caffeine content in coffee can make you addicted. After that, you will feel tired going without coffee for several hours.
- A high dosage of caffeinated coffee may alter your heartbeat rhythm.
- The most common side effect of coffee is an increase in urination.
So, now you can choose the better option from, matcha tea vs coffee. We have analyzed the health benefits and side effects of matcha tea and coffee. Both beverages contain antioxidants, which are good for health.
But also keep in mind that both are caffeinated beverages. Light and moderate consumption of caffeine can be beneficial for your mental and physical health. On the other side, a higher intake of caffeine can be harmful to your health and can lead to various diseases.